Re: Overbars

Subject: Re: Overbars
From: Jan Axelson <jan -at- LVR -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 09:24:12 -0600

Overbars still seem to be the convention of choice for active-low signals
on ICs, where the names are usually short. If you use small caps for all
signal names, the overbars fit nicely. But it is extra work.

Overbars don't work as well with long names, which may be mixed case for
readability.

I've also seen (and used) leading asterisks, forward slashes, and hyphens.
Another option is a leading "n", as in "nWrite". But for that you need to
be the one naming the signals.

In any case, I try to use the same convention in the schematics and
descriptive text. If that's not possible, I explain somewhere that the
various conventions are equivalent.

Jan Axelson
http://www.lvr.com
jan -at- lvr -dot- com

>I searched the archives and could not find an answer on this. We used
to use an asterisk to indicate an active low pin. Thanks to advanced
desktop publishing, we eventually started using an overbar option.
Now I hear there is a new standard, but I do not know what it is.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=