Is print dying?

Subject: Is print dying?
From: Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- CHISP -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:04:34 -0700

Todd Sieling wrote:

>There's 2 cents for you, but it makes me ask myself - is this what readers
>want? Is print really dying or is it being euthanized in its weakened state?

Hard to say, but here's something I've observed often among programmers.
They *say* that they hate print media for reference manuals and the like,
since on-line manuals are searchable in a way that books aren't. But I've
never seen a programmer whose office wasn't filled with reference books,
nor a programmer's desk that didn't have several of them open at once. And
the books keep selling.

What people think they want and what they really want are often different.
(This is one reason why surveys and "focus groups" are such bogus sources
of information for marketers.)

--
Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- chisp -dot- net>
Author, _Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of Content & Style_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=