Career Question

Subject: Career Question
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- GHAYHOE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:11:15 -0500

Anonymous wrote:

"My question is: do you think that if I work as a senior
writer for a
while, it will hurt me when I go job-hunting again and try
to find a
manager position?"

In many technology-based companies, technical positions are
not considered inferior to management positions. Instead,
there are two parallel tracks that people can move back and
forth between during the course of their careers. I've
known quite a few people who served a stint in management
and then chose to move to a technical position because they
didn't feel that management was a good fit for them, because
they preferred the challenge of the technical role, or
because they didn't want their technical skills to become
stale.

It's a shame that all too often, the career ladder for
technical communicators with a few years of experience is
limited to management when they could make significant
contributions as writers, editors, illustrators, designers,
etc.

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 (803) 642-2156
Fax: +1 (803) 642-9325
http://www.ghayhoe.com

Winner
APEX '98 Award for Publication Excellence

Awards of Distinguished Technical Communication
South Carolina/Carolina Foothills STC Chapters
1998-99 Technical Publications Competition

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=