voice recognition and job loss

Subject: voice recognition and job loss
From: "Comeau, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Comeau -at- MOH -dot- GOV -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:10:52 -0500

About Naturally Speaking...

Darren said:
That sounds fine at first, but consider that that's one in ten words that
gets transcribed incorrectly. Given my 60 wpm, I found this a sub-standard
alternative.

Beth said:
I think it's much better than that, once it's trained. A local SF/fantasy
writer has done his last several novels with it, and he's not the most
patient person in the world.

Once DNS is fully trained, I'm sure it's a great alternative (and being a
writer of fiction myself, I would love to write the way I speak; the stream
of consciousness style doesn't work really well when you're a 2 fingered
typist...) ;-)

The problem is, the training part takes a long time, and not everyone has
the luxury of time. In my case, I tend to speak very quickly (must be my
upbringing where you had to say it before you got cut off...) and DNS has a
hard time with that. I also find that context is a problem - past and passed
are examples that come to mind. DNS can't tell which spelling you mean,
because it can't put the word "passed" into the proper context.

Don't get me wrong - I think VR software has grown by leaps and bounds, and
that it's a great idea in theory, but in practice, it has a long way to go.

Lisa Comeau

"I love to dance in the light of the TECHWR-L flames...it makes me feel
free..."
-attributed to a crazy techwhirler singed to death on afternoon in May

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=