Re: Software specific question: WebWorks

Subject: Re: Software specific question: WebWorks
From: Sarah O'Keefe <okeefe -at- SCRIPTORIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:18:21 -0500

Hi Sean,

Some comments below. I'm copying the list because there has been quite a
bit of interest in this topic recently.

>I would like to learn how well Quadralay's WebWorks works with FrameMaker to
>create WinHelp (HLP) files and HTML help.

Very well, with a few caveats.

You have to organize your FrameMaker source files carefully and do a lot of
work with the WWP conversion template to get everything just right, but
once you do that, it's a smooth conversion.

How well does it work with
>FrameMaker 5.5.x?

Fine.

> How well integrated is it?

It uses the FrameMaker API structure to generate MIF files (used for the
conversion). Other than that, it runs separately from FrameMaker.

> How easy is it to use?

Not very.

> Are
>there any problems with the package?

There are some "issues," but they're mostly minor.

> How is the support?

Support is usually quite good.

>How does it compare
>to its MS-Word competition (RoboHelp, ForeHelp, Doc-to-Help)?

It's much more difficult to use, but I question the comparison. WWP is not
a help authoring tool. It's a conversion tool that lets you extract content
from FrameMaker and deliver it in help files. The tools you mention (and
BTW ForeHelp is not Word-based) are all designed to build help "from
scratch."

If you have existing FrameMaker content that you need to deliver in WinHelp
or HTML Help format, then WWP is the way to go. If you plan to develop help
content and don't need that content in FrameMaker (for print or PDF), then
you're probably better off with a HAT.

Regards,

Sarah O'Keefe

Sarah O'Keefe Scriptorium Publishing Services, Inc.
FrameMaker ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) 919-481-2701
WebWorks Publisher certified trainer okeefe -at- scriptorium -dot- com
http://www.scriptorium.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=