Re: FWD: Re: Job loss through injury or illness?

Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Job loss through injury or illness?
From: howard <hb -at- PENCIL -dot- U-NET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:11:42 +0000

>It's my long experience that once an employer or boss has formed a
>negative opinion of you, that opinion is not going to change. I would
>start looking for a new job or at least for a transfer out of that
>department.

Sadly, yes. And first impressions may not count after a couple of months.
They can conceivably be used against you, in fact, evidential of the high
standards you promised and haven't lived up to.

Elastic limits and Young's Moduli are bombing round my brain right
now...just can't find the right metaphor.

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that whilst it may be impossible to
please all of the people all of the time, you're unlikely to alienate
everybody unless you go about it in a methodical, systematic manner. The
most surprising people can hold positive, supportive opinions of you, you
just may not know about it.

You know the "if only I'd..." feeling? Well employers are human too.

Also, bear in mind that technical documentation is a strange profession.
Theoretically you can turn out x-megs of text a day, confidently, following
x-number of hours of product contact/SME input; documents will always be a
top priority for reviewers to turn around; the software tools you're using
are installed on machines that experienced testers got their hands on
before the company made a purchasing decision and the site's sysadmin make
it a matter of personal pride that their installations are rock-solid. This
is not to say that, in theory, this isn't the case.

In short, it's worth assuming everyone is at least as dedicated and
professional as yourself--particularly if you want them to think that about
you--whilst accepting that, sometimes, things just don't go to plan...

howard
mailto:hb -at- pencil -dot- u-net -dot- com

--
POORLY INFORMATION AND HOW, IT IS WRITTEN
Normal .sig currently is undergone maintenets-routing.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=