Status of HTML-based Help

Subject: Status of HTML-based Help
From: Bob Johnson <bob -dot- johnson -at- CELERITYSOLUTIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:47:52 -0500

My supervisor and I were discussing conversion from Winhelp to HTML-based
Help (probably MS HTMLHelp; we're an NT shop). The latest information I've
had is that HTML-based Help is still a little short of full development,
even though MS has released its version.

I do have a copy of _Intercom_, STC's magazine, from last summer, with an
assessment of HTML-based Help, but that information is at least 9 months
old. I'm wondering where the development of HTML-based Help stands in early
1999.

And though I said we're probably oriented toward the MS version, I'm
interested in hearing about all forms that are in development. After all,
there's no way of guessing which will become the standard in the future.

I'd welcome both personal views, and recommendations for print/online
sources of information on this issue.

Bob Johnson
Technical Writer
Celerity Solutions