Fire Them All

Subject: Fire Them All
From: Thomas Hudson <t_hudson -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:06:24 -0000

Much can be learned listening to a hyper-sophisticated TW mentor a younger colleague. Shall we listen in?

"The main thing wrong with technical writers is their obsession with tools. I learned SQL in a week. A recent client was infested with tool-crazed writers. I fired two of them. I straightened them out."

"Oh, how true, Mr. Hyper-sophist! I learned HTML in 2 days."

"Two days? I learned DHTML in 1 day. The main thing wrong with technical writers is their obsession with writing skill at the expense of technical knowledge. A recent client was overrun with writers who, although fine writers, did not understand technical things, like routers, pipes, and rocket launchers. I fired 6 of them. I straightened them out."

"Oh, yes, yes, Mr. Hyper-sophist! I learned Framemaker in 2 hours."

"Two hours? I learned Javascript in a single hour. The main thing wrong with technical writers is their lack of humor. They're too fragile. A recent client was plagued with humorless writers. I fired 12 of them. I can't stand dour faces. I straightened them out! I replaced them with the CEO's secretary and 6 Word macros. I explain all this in my new, humor-packed book 'How to Successfully Manage Technical Projects by Firing the Writers, for Dummies."

"I learn languages in my sleep."

"Hey, that's what the CEO's secretary said."

---
Thomas Hudson
The Grace Group

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=