Re: Book Writing

Subject: Re: Book Writing
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:45:57 -0800

Danny -

> To determine what "advance against royalties" you should receive, ask
> the publisher how many copies will be published in the first printing,
> then multiply it by the royalty. A first printing of 5000 copies at a 5%
> royalty on a $20 retail, for example, should be *about* $5,000.

The problem with your formula is that it doesn't specify where the percentage
is determined. I've written over 30 published books, and the *standard*
royalty percentage from technical book publishers is 15%. However, that's
calculated on the price a retailer pays the publishing house, not the retail
price of the book. Then you have to subtract whatever your agent charges - and
I don't mind paying an agent to find publishers, negotiate a contract, and
manage the whole thing - and whatever advance the publisher paid you.

The NET royalty to you, the author, generally works out to about $1/book.Again,
this is for the technical book market, not for romance novels or science
fiction or any other category.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=