Re: Docs for non-english speakers

Subject: Re: Docs for non-english speakers
From: Bob Morrisette <writer1 -at- SABU -dot- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:39:25 -0800

> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:12:27 -0700
> From: Robert Maxey <Bob_Maxey -at- MTN -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
> Subject: Docs for non-english speakers
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>
> How many of you create written work instructions for assembly of products?
> Do you use photographs rather than more words? We have a large number of
> non-English speakers at work, and creating a document they can understand
> is a real chore at times.
>
> Just curious,
>
> Bob Maxey
> 3Com
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==
At Sun we use photographs, but in some cases a line drawing
shows the instruction better. We create the photographs with
a digital camera or camcorder. It is handy to shot an assembly
on tape and then play in on your workstation and decide what
frames to capture.

The lady in the office across from me designed an illustrated
check list keyed to numbered photographs. It is a fold-out
that goes with the work instruction. They liked it so much
she received a nice cash bonus.

Bob Morrisette
writer1 -at- sabu -dot- ebay -dot- sun -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=