Re: Microsoft clip art and royalties

Subject: Re: Microsoft clip art and royalties
From: Todd Lemoine <lemoine -at- IONET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:20:52 -0600

Tracy,

Microsoft's EULA for their Clip Gallery Live website
(http://cgl.microsoft.com/clipgallerylive/cgl23/eula.asp) states that

"You may not sell, license or otherwise distribute the CLIPS or derivative
works of the CLIPS on a stand alone basis or as part of a collection, or as
part of any product or service for resale"

It goes on, though, to say that

"the CLIPS may be transmitted and distributed as part of any promotional,
marketing or advertising documents distributed though a non-broadcast medium.
Examples of allowed use include the following: newsletters, brochures, web
sites, presentations, flyers, postcards, trade show materials, newspaper
advertisements, product catalogs, reports;"

Advertisements, catalogs, and web sites are sold everyday, so I'm not sure
where the line is drawn. I guess when in doubt, try not to do it.

Hope you hear from them soon.

Todd Lemoine

> Does anybody know whether you can freely use Microsoft's clip art (for
> example, the graphics that come with Publisher or Word) in a product
> that will be sold, or if you must pay royalties? This may sound like a
> silly question, but we've found many clip art packages have use
> restrictions. We can't find an answer on the product package or the MS
> website, and are waiting on a reply to an e-mail request for info, but
> in the meanwhile I thought someone here might have already been there
> and done that.
>
> Thanks
> Tracy
> --
> Tracy Boyington mailto:tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
> Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
> Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
> Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=