Re: Documenting Code/Why Is It So Ugly?

Subject: Re: Documenting Code/Why Is It So Ugly?
From: "Smith, Martin" <smithmr -at- ENCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:12:35 -0700

Note that some of the freely available/shareware text editors (such as
TextPad) do a nice job of working with source code. They "understand"
how the code is indented (using either spaces or tabs) and correctly
handle the various character combinations used to break lines. The
preferences often allow one to specify how many spaces to use per tab,
which may tighten things up a bit in some cases. I typically convert
each tab into four spaces and import the resulting text file into my
publishing program of choice. I also define a paragraph style for the
code that uses a monospaced font, disables automatic letter spacing and
ligatures, and forces the min, max, and normal range for word spacing to
100 percent.

> Martin R. Smith
> Technical Writer / Audiophile
> ENCORP: The Energy Automation Company, http://www.encorp.com