Re: Summary: Translator as a second audience

Subject: Re: Summary: Translator as a second audience
From: Ed Hull <ethull -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:31:00 +0100

Dave,
Thanks for your summary to the list. I'm also interested in:

>Someone else sent what appeared to be a primary audience checklist that
would
>apply to almost any Technical Writing (too long to reproduce here). However
>when I gave it a second read I noticed how his final "Revision Section" did
>cover aspects that should keep your writing concise and accurate for the
>translator, not unlike the Simplified English rules mentioned later.
(thanks
>RRQ, whoever you are behind those initials).
Would you send me the details please.

A further comment about:
> Always use the same terminology or name for any
>piece of equipment or process.
I would go even further and say "always use the same words for the same
things whatever they are; nouns verbs, prepositions etc." Forget the rule
we all learned in high school abut never using the same word twice in a
sentence -- you are not writing "literature"!

I like your "pig shit" story, I'd like to steal it for the "blunder of the
month" in my news letter.

Thanks,
Ed Hull
Professional English