Re: 2 spaces after period - reason why not

Subject: Re: 2 spaces after period - reason why not
From: Diane Williams <diane_williams -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:28:07 -0800

>>So, when it comes down to it, using one space after a period has to do
with esthetics just like the rule for putting quotation marks after
periods and commas. Both were invented by typesetters just because they
liked the way it looked.<<

I was told by one of my graduate English profs who is a publisher as
well, that in America, the close quote mark would be placed outside
comma and periods because the durn commas and periods used to break
off the end of the strip of lead type. So the leading publishers began
setting them inside the close quote mark for more stability.

I'd like to invent two new ligatures:
1. a comma directly below a close quote
2. a period directly below a close quote

These marks would be very functional and they'd save space too! I can
do it in Word by selecting the two and condensing the amount of space
between the two characters by 3 or 4 points. Looks good! But it takes
up too much time.

==
~~Diane Williams
OAO Corporation
Information Technology Documentation & Training Coordinator
(That's what my business card says!)
(703) 305-2973
USDA Food & Nutrition Services

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=