Re: Laptops, Mac-to-Windows

Subject: Re: Laptops, Mac-to-Windows
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:21:11 GMT

>1) Mice. PC laptops detect external mice only on bootup.
My Toshiba Satellite Pro has been very tolerant about me disconnecting
various components during operation. This might depend on the laptop,
not the OS. (My husband's Dell isn't quite as reliable.) This includes
swapping the CD-ROM and floppy drive, and unintentionally removing the
PCMCIA card (network connection).

>I could not easily do business in the Mac world, which thanks to the iMac is heating
>up rapidly.
I didn't have too many problems going PC to Mac (I'm primarily
PC-based). It probably depends on the project & software involved and
the client's setup.

Some else mentioned concerns about what happens if a laptop breaks, is
stolen, etc. I added a rider to my insurance to cover laptop theft or
damage. It costs about $40 a year per laptop, and supposedly covers
any damage, even if your child accidentally spills pop on it (that's
the example my insurance agent used). I still got a lock for the
laptop and regularly back up the data --- the price of the computer
isn't half as much as the worth of the data on it!

Hope this helps,

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000