Re: What am I worth?

Subject: Re: What am I worth?
From: "Eric L. Dunn" <edunn -at- TRANSPORT -dot- BOMBARDIER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:25:31 -0500

Leonard Porrello wrote:
>>>However, the idea that warrants a union is that
>>>it gives you power and freedom that you don't now have.

Now I have to jump in on this one. The freedom of association includes the
freedom to not associate. If someone wants to hire someone else to
represent them then fine. But by no means should your means of
representation be forced apon you. The first thing all unions do create a
closed shop where you must be a member of the right union to work there.
Open shops are very rare things. This IMO removes your freedom and places
the power not with yourself but in the hands of others.

Right now I have the freedom to define my working relationship with my
supervisors, to gain renumeration and recognition based on merit, to
associate with whomever I choose at work, to accept additional work that I
find interesting. All freedoms I would no doubt loose in a union. I also
fail to see what power I would gain. I would go from master of my own
destiny (more or less) to one tiny cog in a machine.

Yes unions and group negotiating have/had their place. I tend to believe it
is mostly past tense.

Eric L. Dunn

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=