Prod reviews--why not include doc???

Subject: Prod reviews--why not include doc???
From: Colleen Adams <colleen_adams -at- MEDISPAN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:02:34 -0500

I'm perusing my weekly edition of InfoWorld mag, reading an article on
why software companies' customer support is so poor in comparison to
hardware companies' CS. It mentions a company (Prognostics) that
conducts surveys for the IT marketplace, asking them about not just
product support, but about other factors like product quality, deliver,
training, and YES, documentation!

(I have a point, and I'm getting to it...) Which brings me to a question:
why is it, that when I read Product Reviews in various
technical/computing publications, I can almost *never* find 1 comment on
the quality of the doc, hard copy or online! The only focus is on the
product itself!

As a doc manager, I would like to know how a product reviewer rates
the documentation that comes with the product. It can give my team some
insight to user's frustrations and delights. And, if it's a viable product or
maybe even a really crappy one, we may purchase it to grow our
collection of doc samples.

I sent email to InfoWorld asking that they begin to include this info in their
reviews but got no response...maybe I'm not looking in the right pubs...

Comments, recommendations, thoughts???
Colleen Adams
External Documentation Manager
First DataBank, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN
colleen_adams -at- firstdatabank -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=