Re: Recruiters

Subject: Re: Recruiters
From: joe mulligan <jmulli -at- PHILLY -dot- INFI -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:31:41 -0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Castellani <linda -at- GRIC -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thursday, March 04, 1999 6:20 PM

>Something that I have experienced with recruiters on more than one occasion
>is being pressured by the recruiter to accept the job. This happens before
>I even interview. These recruiters will say, "I need you to commit to me
>that if they offer you the job, you'll take it. Otherwise, I won't send
>you on the interview." I refuse to commit, and sometimes they send me and
>sometimes they don't, but that kind of pressure makes me feel very awkward
>about the whole thing, makes me feel very negative about the company I'm
>about to visit, and puzzled. They clearly don't care whether or not it's a
>good fit, all they care about is closing the sale.
>==========================

Worse than that, Linda, is when you find that you weren't paid the rate that the client thought you would be getting from their agency supplier. I was told by the client co. rep that I should have been getting $40.00, when
I was getting only $30.00 because that was what I had asked the agency for when queried. Client was paying for a $40 writer (plus markup), and the agency pocketed 10/hr!! (But just for a while!!!!)
Or is this commonplace? Isn't 15% markup the industry std.?

I also get a kick out of some contract writers who say their forbidden to say what they're getting! When I asked my fellow contract writer about what her agency was paying her, she wouldn't say. But when I told her my hourly rate, she was aghast that although we were doing the same work, she recv'd $10/hr less than I! Sharing info is productive.

JoeMPA

>Obligatory quote:
>
>"Live for today. Work like you don't need money; love like you've never
>been hurt; dance like nobody's watching."
>
> --- Christine Comaford, Managing Director of Artemis Ventures,
> upon receiving her award as one of the Top 25 Women of the Web
>
>Linda Castellani
>Technical Writer
>GRIC Communications, Inc.
>1421 McCarthy Blvd.