Re: windows, screens, and dialog boxes

Subject: Re: windows, screens, and dialog boxes
From: "HICKEY, John David" <jdhickey -at- GROUPE-PROGESTIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:56:38 -0500

Greetings Cassandra!

>What is the difference between the following:
>- dialog box
>- screen
>- window

I get this all the time. People interchange these terms all the time
when they are really three distinct things. It's quite easy to tell them
apart, though, using the following distinctions:

* a window can be resized and minimized
* a dialog box cannot be resized and generally cannot be minimized
* a screen ... hmmmm... this is tricky. This term is a throw-back
from the pre-GUI days. If you're documenting a GUI system, you don't
really talk about screens anymore. A screen was an application that took
the whole monitor screen to display itself (WordPerfect 5.1 and previous
versions).

---
Be seeing you,

John David Hickey
Technical Writer
---
Groupe-Progestic
Montreal, Quebec
514-842-7995

Do not confuse my opinions with my employers'
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.
---

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=