Re: Recruiters

Subject: Re: Recruiters
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 04:49:18 -0800

Just turned the mail back on so please forgive if this is redundant.

Those having problems with recruiters (and those who would like to try
'consulting' if only someone paid the insurance company) might
consider one the the companies (such as DMR Consulting Group Inc.)
that hire folks as 'full-time' (no such thing as 'permanent' any more)
employees (W-2's in the States) ... these companies tend to look for
project jobs (vs. 'throw-bodies-at-the-client'). Because they are
'project oriented,' they are better able to keep people busy (read
keep people generating income for the company which, in turn, keeps
paying the employee).

Unlike a typical 'in-house' job where the employee is 'terminated'
when the work load lightens, the contract house (realizing the high
cost of recruiting quality personnel such as this scrivener :-] )
continues to provide pay & benefits and actively looks for new work
for the employee - the sooner the employee is making money for the
company, the better the company's ROI.

(The term 'win-win situation' comes to mind.)

Another benefit of a DMR-type company is opportunity to do 'other'
things ... I've represented the local office at vendor conferences,
been involved with data center development/implementation, and am now
doing more and more business continuity planning (read 'disaster
prevention planning') - which, by the by, I enjoy.

Travel? Some. TDY* to parts unknown? Possible. Odd clients? Welllllll
... I always have the opportunity to decline a job. (That might be
foolish, but the opportunity IS available.)

I've been a captive employee, I've been self-employed, I've been a
contractor for body shops, and I am now a 'consultant.' The current
arrangement seems the best of all worlds. 'Course that does NOT
guarantee that all companies (or even divisions within companies)
treat personnel the way we think they should, nor does it mean that
everyone everywhere would be happy in an environment such as mine.

But it is an option.

* TDY = Temporary Duty Assignment, in this case, out of my home area.
Even then, round-trip airfare is provided for frequent visits home.

==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=