Nested tabs terminology summary

Subject: Nested tabs terminology summary
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- INTERLOG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 18:26:42 GMT

Thanks to all of those who responding on list and off to my question
about what to call the nested tabs in the user interface of one of our
products.

The consensus was overwhelmingly to call the secondary set of tabs
(the ones that are opened by another tab) subtabs.

A couple of people suggested that the interface was non-standard and
should be changed. That isn't possible or even likely at this point
in the development cycle nor do I think it's necessary. In the context
of our program, using subtabs is a neat and efficient way of
organizing the information that our software has to display. It may
not be a commonly-used interface item (I think I've seen it done
elsewhere) but it's certainly no more confusing than the dialog boxes
with 10 or 15 tabs that some programs foist upon users -- especially
when the tabs shift place when you select them.

Regards
Keith

Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- interlog -dot- com -- http://www.interlog.com/~ksoltys/
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000