Re: (Zachary) tayloring (Rant/Long)

Subject: Re: (Zachary) tayloring (Rant/Long)
From: Chris Hamilton <caxdj -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:09:16 -0500

Scott--

It seems your complaint is that the errors you see in postings are a
symptom of a greater problem within the profession. That may or may not
be true, but let's assume it is.

Rather than rant, what do you suggest we do about it as professional
technical writers? How do we solve this problem? Do we need to teach
better grammar in the schools? Have a refresher in technical
communication programs? Should we go out and get ourselves a grammar
book from a used book store (I don't mention this option facetiously; if
I ever see one I'm going to pick it up.)? Should someone try to create
some kind of on-line grammar and usage refresher? (I'm not volunteering,
by the way)

I'll be honest; I hated grammar when we went over it in high school. I
think my teacher was bored by it and that showed through. That doesn't
reduce my responsibility to learn the language I use as a tool, but it's
something to consider in the overall scheme of things.

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton
Technical Writer