Re: Relevant TC Topics for a Conference

Subject: Re: Relevant TC Topics for a Conference
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 12:44:45 -0800

> Michael Andrew Uhl wrote:
Please help
> > me fill in my list of relevant topics for technical communicators in
> > 1999.

Off the top of my pointy head ...

Active/Passive voice
Audience identification - targeting the audience
Clarity shall prevail
Creating gender-free documents (use job titles)
Documentation for an international audience (in. & cm)
Documentation delivery options - what is best for THIS publication?
JIT* publishing - good/bad
Reusing text and graphics - creating/storing/retrieving
Revision control - knowing what's on 1st (and 2nd)
Spare the (extraneous) characters - get to the point
Tables vs. steps vs. text (vs. graphics?)
Writers in other roles (trainer, CSR**, ...)
Writing to multiple audiences (beginner to expert)

* JIT = Just In Time
** Customer Svc. Rep a/k/a & d/b/a tech support

Yes, I know Whose on first, but ...

(a/k/a=also known as; d/b/a=doing business as)
==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=