Re: Bizarre MS Word Indexing Problem

Subject: Re: Bizarre MS Word Indexing Problem
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:53:49 -0000

Hi Linda,

> I am tearing what's left of my hair out over a bizarre problem I am having
> with Word.
[remainder snipped]
----
Y'know, I've noticed the same thing. In my case, it was down to choosing a
'non-default' printer when printing. Slightly different printer metrics
ensure that different amounts of text fit onto the same page size if you use
different printer drivers. AFAIK, this is a generic thing (that is, not
confined to Word.)

If you go to the Tools->Options->Print tab, you'll see an 'Update Fields'
check box. If you check this, then Word will regenerate all fields
(including TOC and Index) before printing. Hopefully, this will ensure that
your index stays in step with the printed version. Unfortunately,
regenerating the TOC and Index removes any manual editing of these elements.

If checking 'Update Fields' doesn't work for you, then you can preselect the
target printer before generating the document. To do this, choose
File->Print, select the required printer, and then click Close (the Cancel
button changes to Close when you choose a new printer).

Good luck,

HTH,

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=