Re: Web page displays and screen resolution

Subject: Re: Web page displays and screen resolution
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:17:47 -0600

Debbie;

Some HTML elements, such as the table element or the frame element, accept
percentages instead of pixels. This allows the elements to adapt to the
window and/or screen size. For example, a 2-row, 2-column table can be set
as follows:

Likewise, for frames, percentages could be used as follows:

<frameset cols="40%,60%">
<frame name="contents" target="main">
<frame name="main" scrolling="auto">
</frameset>

Another technique is to use DHTML and scripting to automatically size the
window. The following resizes an Internet Explorer window to 85% of the
screen when the file is viewed:

Sub window_onLoad()
window.resizeto (Screen.Width*.85), (Screen.Height*.85)
window.moveto (Screen.Width -(Screen.Width*.85))/2, _
(Screen.Height-(Screen.Height*.85))/2
End Sub

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Staff Writer/ Web Applications Developer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://maps.intergraph.com

<snip>

> Since (I think) the issue is not screen size but screen resolution,
> could you brilliant denizens please give me a quick tutorial on what
> determines how web pages are displayed and what would be considered the
> best resolution to set the pages.
>
> I'll add that our clients are varied (we don't know which browsers
> they'll be using).
>
> Any other tips you can provide as to what we should check (different
> browsers, etc.) to try and keep the pages displaying at least in the
> realm of how we want them would be appreciated.
>
> As always, I'll be happy to summarize. Make sure to respond to me
> directly because I'm on digest.
>
> Debbie Pesach

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=