Re: What employers want

Subject: Re: What employers want
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:09:45 -0500

Assuming the audience for this particular document is tech writers who are looking for a job, I'm going to point out what is obvious to me:

Unless you are looking for a job from Steve, or one of the others who responded, you just don't, and can't, know which qualifications are mandatory and which are wishes. Except for the citizenship one - if they bothered to mention it, there are probably legal or policy reasons that are not flexible.

To reduce the exercise to practicality for a job seeker, I would suggest that the best idea is to apply for jobs where you have most of what the ad asks for. Don't waste time with the ones that are completely out of your league, but don't rule a good one out on the basis of what might be a wish instead of a requirement.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

> From: Steven Jong [mailto:SteveFJong -at- AOL -dot- COM]
>
> Having written want ads and then hired off them, I feel
> qualified to respond to your opinion poll. Given the list you specified, I would
> list them as follows:
>
> Requirements:
>
> 1) 6 years experience
> 2) skilled with PageMaker/FrameMaker/MS Word/COBOL Programming
> 3) works well under pressure
> 4) university education
>
> Helpful:
>
> 1) American citizenship
> 2) TW degree
> 3) sunny disposition
> 4) eager to please
>
> [I would not list these particular requirements, though...]

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=