Re: Help systems for Web applications/ASPs?

Subject: Re: Help systems for Web applications/ASPs?
From: Amy Poos <apoos -at- TREEV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:03:45 -0500

I am also working on a similar HMTL-based help system.

Sella Rush said:
<snip>
2. Provide separate Help pages, and have the pages open in a separate,
non-maximized, browser window that the user can move or minimize. Kind of
like context sensitive help (although I've never researched if you can
control window size, I think you can).
<snip>

I don't think it is possible to control the help window size for all
browsers. By default it will be same size as the parent window, so if you
are viewing the ASP page maximized and click on Help, the help window will
be maximized. I can use JavaScript to open a second window for the help (
for example:

<A HREF=javascript:window.open
("contents.htm","","directories=no,toolbar=no,location=no,menuvbar=no,scroll
bars=yes,resizable=yes,width=600,height=350") </A>

but it does not seem to work for both IE and Netscape. Please let me know if
I am wrong!

Incidentally, your help does not spawn a new window but actually uses the
same window as your application. Have you found this to be effective? This
would prevent a Back button problem that we currently have (using Back from
the Help window causes two application windows to be open).

Amy Poos
Sr. Information Developer
TREEV, Inc.
Herndon, VA