Re: Hours/page estimates with explanation

Subject: Re: Hours/page estimates with explanation
From: "Meek, DavidX L" <davidx -dot- l -dot- meek -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:12:29 -0800

I sent an e-mail to the national STC site, but they were unable to help me.
They suggested I contact my local chapter, which, for various reasons, I was
unable to do.

So I went home and reviewed my personal collection of technical writing
information. I found the data I needed, provided below, but not in its
original source publication. I cannot give 100% assurance that the numbers
are derived completely from the STC, but I seem to recall seeing these
numbers in my local STC chapter's newsletter.

*New manuals
8 hours/page for first 75 pages (including art)
4-8 hours/page for remaining pages
or
3-5 hours/page
2 hours/graphic for simple line art
1-2 hours/screen capture
*Substantive revision of existing manual
1-3 hours/page for text
1-2 hours/graphic for art
*Light editing of existing manual
10-20 minutes/page for text
1/2-1 hour/graphic for art
*Indexing (all tasks)
5 pages per hour
*Online documentation
2 hours/screen
or
3 hours/screen for graphics-intensive screens
*Production
5 percent of all other activities

If anyone can provide more complete information or can cite a source, please
let me know.

-Dave
(Any statements made above are mine, and mine alone.)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=