Re: Radical management?

Subject: Re: Radical management?
From: Jim Aikens <jaikens -at- ZOOMIT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:58:02 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoffrey Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>

>Here's my radical thought for the day:

Hardly radical, but maybe only part of the picture. Going on the
assumption that this kind of discussion is on-topic, I would suggest
that what you suggest is a "micro-management" approach. I think a good
manager also has to have a "macro" view that encompasses more than the
current product or project. The manager is caught between the workers
(managees?) and the customers (internal or external) and, for long-term
success, he or she must try to keep both happy. Not always at the same
time.

When I was a software manager, for example, I often assigned projects to
people who were not the best-fitted (by training, experience or even
aptitude) for them because it gave them a chance to learn something
new -- and also provided me with more fully-developed resources for
future projects. In the short run it took longer and sometimes caused
unnecessary client problems, but in the long run it led to a happier and
more flexible department (with very low turnover).

Maybe all this is implicit in your comments, but I have seen so many
narrowly project/product-focussed managers (hands on or hands off) that
I think it needs to be made explicit.

jim aikens

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=