Re: There's more to it than grammar

Subject: Re: There's more to it than grammar
From: Jane Bergen <jbergen1 -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:18:10 -0600

Debbie Warren writes:

>Don't you think that most users pick up a user's guide to locate how
to do
>something or how to solve a problem? They usually have the big
picture
>before they purchase the equipment or software. Providing lengthy
text will

Oh, would that it was so easy!! Unfortunately, Debbie, a lot of
companies use the user manuals as marketing tools. At my last company,
our sales guys used them (often LEFT THEM .. I hated that!) for
potential sales targets. Marketing also used the manuals for pulling
parts and pieces of their docs, and trainers used them in class
because they were either unable (as in didn't have the skills) or
unwilling to spend the time to develop their own materials (...I hated
that too!). So, I ended up making the user guides as please-everyone
documents. I doubt that my case was unique.

Jane Bergen
jbergen1 -at- earthlink -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=