Re: Help! First TW job interview

Subject: Re: Help! First TW job interview
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- MPS-CANADA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:37:10 -0800

Good morning,

There is a valid lesson to be learned in this thread, for both Mr. Smith and
the bevy or respondents. We live, work and write in a globalized economy,
and need to be aware of the cultural assumptions we make. In his first post,
Mr. Smith failed to indicate what country his job interview was in, so I
think most people (including Mr. Rocco, below) assumed it was in the United
States. One went as far as to point out the federal law on the issue. I will
point out, with a bit of nationalist pride, that a Canadian, Ms. Credland,
was prudent enough to note Mr. Smith's e-mail address and not leap to any
conclusions. Mr. Smith might have foreseen this oversight, and the rest of
us might have followed Ms. Credland's lead in clarifying it.

From a cultural perspective, it may be perfectly acceptable in "northern
Europe" to hire people based on age. In fact, it seems genuine in that it
recognizes people's undeniable biases. As technical writers, we should
always consider the context within which we're operating. Thanks. DB.