Terminology for web servers and CGI?

Subject: Terminology for web servers and CGI?
From: Carl Stieren <carls -at- CYBERUS -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:51:41 -0500

Hello Colleagues,

When explaining how to use third-party products with your firm's software,
things can get tricky. I'm in the midst of such a project and while I have
good definitions for web server terms such as

* server root
* document root

I need names for a few other terms whose concepts are known to me (and
described in "Webserver in a Nutshell", another book on Microsoft MIIS, but
whose names elude me:

* "that part of the URL following the optional port number after the domain"
(I want to call this "Partial URL", but someone at my shop said there
is a real name for it.)

For example, suppose you have a URL entered in
a browser as "http://www.mycorp.com:80/widget-scripts/buy-widget-a"; and
you've mapped "/widget-scripts/" to the cgi-bin directory on your
web server computer and the Partial Path "/widget-scripts/buy-widget-a"
maps to particular script, say "C:/webserver/cgi-bin/buya.pl"

* "the handler for an extension" (not a CGI or web server term, but a more
generic one).

For example, suppose you map all your scripts ending in ".pl" on your
web server computer to "C:\Perl\perl.exe" and you map all your scripts
ending in ".exe" to "cmd.exe" (wherever that lives on Windows NT -
I forget and I'm at home where I have Windows 95).

What do you call "handler for an extension", namely perl.exe and
cmd.exe in the example above? Maybe "executing program" (not a very
nice term for a Quaker lad, but maybe OK in the industry?)

Cheers,

Carl Stieren

Carl Stieren .....................................email: carls -at- cyberus -dot- ca
Technical Writer and Designer......................deep in Silicon Tundra
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.........................1 hr 40 min from Montreal
Carl's "Text and Subtext" Web Page..................www.cyberus.ca/~carls

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=