Re: complex conditional steps

Subject: Re: complex conditional steps
From: "Jody R. Lorig" <jlorig -at- KAVOURAS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:29:17 +0000

Kim Portonova asked:

>I am documenting a quick reference guide for our patient accounting,
>medical records, and patient registration system. The interface is
>clunky, and the procedures have many complex variables.

Approach this much the same as the troubleshooting tables in user
manuals for appliances and other hardware.

Try making a 3-column table as follows:
column 1: Action to be performed column
2: List possible steps to perform for this action column
3: List sequences necessary to perform the step

In the example below, think of the vertical line as a line from your
table.

Open medical record | Nothing happens| Press Tab or Enter key; select
appropriate step from list below
(no text col 1) | (no text col 2) | (no text col 3)
(no text col 1) |Opens to desired record | Enter data
(no text col 1) | (no text col 2) | (no text col 3)
(no text col 1) |Entry screen opens | Select visit

If this isn't clear, contact me off-line and I'll give you a PDF file
with an actual table.

HTH
Mr. Jody Lorig
Publications Manager