Finding the Right Technical Writer - a URL

Subject: Finding the Right Technical Writer - a URL
From: John Fleming <johnf -at- FREENET -dot- EDMONTON -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:17:23 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Lois Patterson <lois -at- DOWCO -dot- COM>
Date: March 14, 1999 11:39 PM

>I found a guide to hiring the right technical writer at this site:
>
>http://softdocwiz.com/Brochure.htm
>

>I thought it was interesting that the author sees writing ability as
>only 20% of what is required, but I can't really say his suggested
>requirements are wrong. I'd be interested to hear what other list
>members think of the guide.

I took a look at the site and found it interesting.

One thing that crossed my mind is this. The people who are most
likely to use the guidelines from this site are people who want to
hire technical writers, and who do *not* have a lot of background in
the field.

Whether we, as technical writers, agree with what is written on this
site or not is immaterial. Sooner or later, we are going to run into
a future employer who has read what is this site (or a similar one),
and who will be using it for guidance in selecting technical writers.

Thanks for letting us know about this site.

--

John Fleming
Edmonton, Alberta

email: johnfgh -at- nce -dot- ab -dot- ca
(nce should be ecn)
web pages: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6070

Camel - A horse planned by a committee.

This message may be freely copied, distributed, or
otherwise be retransmitted.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=