Quantifiable editing

Subject: Quantifiable editing
From: Peterson Karen <Peterson_Karen -at- PRC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:30:27 -0500

Fellow technical editors,

My project manager will not allow time for me to edit our computer-based
training (CBT) text in conjunction with the graphics. (I do edit the text,
but it's before any graphics are made.) His argument is that I can't find
anything quantifiable when I edit.

I provided him with a short list of common errors, but I also explained that
I can't make up a checklist to cover all possible errors. Then I gave
examples of errors I found *after* the CBTs had been through testing. He
still thinks these errors will be caught with a checklist and by telling the
graphics people to "pay special attention."

Is there another way of justifying an edit?

Thanks for your help,
Karen

"Muawia took a seat amid the other customers, lit his pipe, and engaged in
an exercise: he did not let a single thought last longer than the smoke
coming out of his pipe."
--Milord Pavic, from Dictionary of the Khazars

Karen Peterson
Peterson_Karen -at- prc -dot- com
610.260.2644

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=