Word/FM Style Compatibility

Subject: Word/FM Style Compatibility
From: Brian Doonan <bdoonan -at- CORECO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:11:06 -0500

I've noticed that some of you use both Word and Framemaker to create
documents. Being rather new to this field of work, I have yet to use
Framemaker, although I have significant experience working with Word. I
understand that if one works with documents under 200 pages Word is a good
option and if the documentation is over 200 pages Framemaker is preferred.

The problem that I am facing at this moment is that I am working with both
short and long manuals, many being well over the 200 page mark. I would
consider using Framemaker for these documents but I am concerned that the
"look" produced by using these two programs will differ considerably. It is
in my company's interest to have a consistent look to our manuals, whether
they are hard copies or help files.

I am interested in knowing if I can use both these programs without
compromising the consistency of the look.

Since I am a strong supporter of keeping the traffic of this mailing list
to a minimum, I am willing to post a summary of the replies if people send
me their messages directly rather than posting them through the list.

Brian Doonan
Technical Writer Coreco Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=