Re: Documenting procedures with photos?

Subject: Re: Documenting procedures with photos?
From: "Jody R. Lorig" <jlorig -at- KAVOURAS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:24:02 +0000

Robert Maxey asked several questions regarding using photos in text
to be translated.

Robert

At one point in my TW life, I had to create a manual that was to be
translated into two additional languages besides being written in
English. Each language needed the same illustration and the same
description arrow on it. The original documents had three separate
drawings with the text block attached to the arrow translated for
each non-English drawing. What I did to reduce the size of the manual
and reduce the quantity of illustrations and thus reduce the cost of
translation was to have all three languages refer to callout
balloons on the illustration that had letters, starting with A and
continuing as far as necessary to cover all items. Then, in the text,
a reference was made to item A, B, C, or so on. This didn't require
translation and left little doubt as to what was being referenced.

If you would like to see what the manual looks like, go to your local
business that carries Coleman Powermate air compressors (I believe
they are only marketed in Mexico, Canada, and the United States) and
look at the manual that comes with the air compressor. I haven't
worked for the company for several years but recently looked at a
manual and they still use my format.

Mr. Jody Lorig
Publications Manager
DTN Kavouras Weather Services