Subject: Summary: SME mark-ups of Frame files (was Frame and SMEs)
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:52:11 GMT

A few weeks back, I posted a request for information on how to allow
electronic reviews of Framemaker files when the SMEs don't have
Framemaker. The SMEs have and are familiar with working with Word.
BTW, this request is for Win95 & NT systems.

The option I like best is sending as PDF and getting a plug-in that
allows the SMEs to add notes and audio comments. However, the only
plug-ins I've found are almost as expensive as full-blown Acrobat.
Does anyone have information on cheap-but-good plug-ins that offer
just the mark-up capabilities?

Thanks to Sean (sean -at- quodata -dot- com), Steven Ward
(steve -at- softlinesystems -dot- com), Bill Hartzer (bhartzer -at- pagemart -dot- com), and
Leonard Porrello for their input.

**Summary**

Send it as PDF and:
* Have the SMEs buy full-blown Acrobat, so they can add notes.
* Get a plug-in that allows users to mark up, highlight, and add audio
to PDF documents.
* have the SMEs print it out, mark it up, and send it back FedEx.

Convert to RTF. You can match up a DOT with your FrameMaker paragraph
styles to make things a tad better. This allows use of the Track
Changes option and is particularly useful if multiple reviewers review
the same doc file.

Have the SMEs get FrameMaker <vbg>.

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000