Re: Desparately Seeking Salary in Houston

Subject: Re: Desparately Seeking Salary in Houston
From: Steve Fouts <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:33:45 -0800

"Elizabeth A. Lett" wrote:
> After a few months of searching for employment as an entry-level
> technical writer, I am starting to feel discouraged. Does anyone hire
> entry-level writers in the Houston area? I have been looking for four
> months (newspaper ads, Internet, networking at STC), and I don't seem to
> be gettng anywhere. I have a recent BA in English Writing and am pretty
> handy with MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Any help or suggestions you
> can give would really be appreciated.

Elizabeth,
I don't have any specific details about the Houston area; I moved away
about 5 years ago. The general rule of thumb for a job search is to
allow about a month for every $10,000 of salary, so four or five months
isn't terrible. That's going to vary a bit depending on the job market
and such.

Entry level is always a little tricky, but there is generally a company
or two that is willing to take a chance on a newbie since they can
generally pay them a bit less than experienced help...

--
Steve Fouts stefou -at- eskimo -dot- com

I never saw an author who was aware that there is any
dimensional difference between a fact and a surmise.
- Mark Twain

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=