Crafts writing and a question

Subject: Crafts writing and a question
From: Robert Maxey <Bob_Maxey -at- MTN -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:01:20 -0700

I also recommend that you contact the manufacturer or distributors of the
raw materials used in the crafts projects you want to write about. Perhaps
they might hire you to put together a booklet or handout for their store
display that shows people interesting uses for their materials. I know
about one case where this happened.

This leads me to a query for the group. Do some of you sit and wait for an
opportunity to come to you, or do you actively market yourself to other
companies? For example, there are many manufacturers of Modems and Network
Cards, and they all have Technical Writers available. Or do they? Perhaps
they use the same person over and over again, and would consider a change.
Or perhaps you have a better way to present their instructions and
information ands would consider over the transom proposals.

How extensive do you search for opportunities? Do any of you consider
multimedia opportunities, instruction books, advertising agencies,
industrial film makers and producers, etc. The world is filled with things
to do and all of the technical writers I know never consider anything
outside their narrow view. Just curious.

Bob Maxey

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=