Re: CSS with Netscape

Subject: Re: CSS with Netscape
From: "Eric L. Dunn" <edunn -at- TRANSPORT -dot- BOMBARDIER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:32:21 -0500

<<"Standard" scripting will not create objects. "Standard" scripting will
not return a programmable object for a currently running application.
"Standard" scripting will not manipulate ActiveX controls. These require
things like the CreateObject or the GetObject method. JavaScript does not
have these.
Browsers are quickly becoming more than a text and picture viewer. They
are progressing toward being an application interface. ...>>

I think this argument is in a different ball park than what the original
gripe was. I also still fail to see the connection between meeting
standards and not being able to implement advanced features. If you don't
have standards how on earth do you expect to communicate with a large
audience? The above seems to equate "standard" with normal or base/low
level. That is not and never was the argument. We're arguing about
STANDARDS. In other words W3C, ISO, UL, CSA, SAE, ASME, ANSI etc., etc.,
etc. If browsers are "quickly becoming more than a text and picture viewer"
then even more reason for there to be more underlying standards. If MS.
Netscape, Sun et al can't behave and agree to play with each other the idea
of information flowing freely is dead. Browsers and the WWW were supposed
to break down the bariers between platforms and applications. We seem to be
building them up again at a furious rate. As technical communicators this
should enrage us (and it does as I think this is why this thread started).
While the possibility of scripting may be enticing, most of us wish to
produce information that is accepted by the majority of or users, not just
those tied down to specific applications. Otherwise why not just post the
information in MS Word or FrameMaker or Quark?

Another argument that comes up (and brings this discussion further off
topic for the list). is why are browsers becoming the be all and end all.
Why is it every product under the sun is trying to become a web authoring
tool? It's about time software developers and marketers really took a look
at their audiences. Much of the hatred and Evil Empire talk spews from the
force feeding of gee-whiz add ons and "improvements" while the base still
doesn't work. Why is it software is attempting to be everything in one
package? Is Explorer an application interface, a destop enhancement, or an
internet browser? (or 'an inovative indespensible part of the operating
system? ;-)) Much of software these days is looking more and more like a
cheep chinese made swiss army knife and being sold as professional tool
sets.

Personally I'd rather buy each tool and pay for the quality.

Eric L. Dunn

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=