Re: FWD: formerly naive now burned tw needs advice

Subject: Re: FWD: formerly naive now burned tw needs advice
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:14:10 -0800

First, delete 'confront' from your vocab for this
instance - that guarantees failure to gain what you
want.

You are dealing with a clerk who apparently has some
responsibility but no authority. Either

1 go over this person's head
2 move on (which you may do anyway of you use
option 1)

If you are working in the Several States (vs. Israel
and similar places where paper often is more important
than skill), you SHOULD be able to overcome the lack of
degree and, with a good reference from someone at the
client site (you WERE nice to those folk, right?), you
also may be able to overcome the n-years' experience
hurdle.

From your post, I doubt further discussions with your
immediate supervisor will improve your financial
position.

SOMETHING FOR THE LIST: Thoughts on the mindset that a
person MUST manage to get 'big bucks.' IMO, that forces
(some) excellent production people (writers) to become
incompetent managers. [That is NOT to say all writers
are excellent; all excellent writers are incompetent
managers, or all managers are incompetent.] This
situation is NOT unique to our business.

--- Anonymous User <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM> wrote:
> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.
>
> I accepted a TW job to work for a contract company
at
> large IT firm. Before I accepted, asked my recruiter
for a certain amount of money more than they offered.
The recruiter said that he would ask the

> Well, the job is completed. I did a good job and the
customer likes my work. I went back to my recruiter
(who is now my manager) and asked him about the raise.

> He responded that my experience and education puts
me
at a level X. I am at the top of the pay scale for
level Xs. To make more money I need to be a level Y,
which requires 2 more years of education and a master's
degree.

I was so angry I didn't know what to say, so I left.
I am scheduling an appointment to confront him again
about this. How do I handle this? I could use the
collective wisdom of the list to figure out the best
way to confront him.

> Thanks.

===
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=