Re: Thoughts on working WITH developers...

Subject: Re: Thoughts on working WITH developers...
From: "Meek, DavidX L" <davidx -dot- l -dot- meek -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:58:00 -0800

Eric Ray wrote:
You desperately needed management support, a clear
documentation development process, or both. That simply
shouldn't happen.
<snip>
If your management etc. tells you that you have to deliver
documentation products on or before the day that the code freezes
or product ships, you need to have them sign off (literally
or figuratively) on what WILL NOT be done. That is,
"boss, I'll be happy to deliver the docs on the day that the
code freezes...would you rather have inaccurate screenshots,
inaccurate processes and descriptions, or what? I'll fill in
the rest in photocopied release notes as soon as possible."

Eric certainly nailed that one. Too often I see tech writers wailing and
gnashing their teeth over issues for which management is responsible. As an
employee, one of my roles is to make management look great; one of
management's roles is to provide the tools and environment that helps me
make them look great. If you are performing in a responsible and quality
manner, management should support you. If not, it's time to circulate your
resume, because the bell is tolling for you. An environment where the tech
writer is the default whipping boy is not an acceptable environment.

Dave
(Any statements made above are mine, and mine alone.)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=