Re: Standard English vs "industry standard"

Subject: Re: Standard English vs "industry standard"
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:12:32 -0500

Hallo:

This is the eternal tech writer quest for respect, isn't it <vbg>. The
problem is, these non-writing types are educated. They've been doing it
since they were four and think they are both good at it and professional at
it. Consider sucking them into a discussion such as the following:

[TW] "You've been writing a long time, haven't you?"
[Non-writer] "Yup."
[TW] "You're pretty good at it, aren't you?"
[Non-writer] "Yup."
[TW] "Tom Clancy and Mark Twain were pretty good, too. Weren't they?"
[Non-writer] "Yup."
[TW] "So, how come you've never written a book or had one published?"
[Non-writer] " . . . I'm not that good . . . they're better than I . . . I
don't have the time."
[TW] "Hmmmm. So, you don't have the skill or time do that, eh?" (Eh is
optional for our Canadian readers.)"You know, I have written books. I have
the time. Not only that, it is my profession."
[Non-writer] "Hmmmmm."
[TW] "There are very many people in this country. Many of them can write.
Not many of them can write at a level required to make books. There are
different tiers of skill. I practice that skill and am at the top. You
shouldn't be embarrassed if I know more about it than you. Now, go away and
build a bridge, or something . . . <vbg>."

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

P.S. Surely your decibel example was a poor one. Do you have any really good
examples to share?

P.P.S. What's an SME? Is it similar to one of those little blue, eighties
cartoon characters? Issit a captains mate on a pirate ship?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=