style/vocabulary question [restart]

Subject: style/vocabulary question [restart]
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- XCERT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:06:40 -0800

Hi all,

I need some answers regarding use of the word "restart".
Many of our documents use the word "restart" to mean
both "stop" and "start". In effect, we are assuming that the
user knows that the server has stopped due to a failure
or because the administrator manually stopped the
server to reset certain services or operations. "Services
will continue using these settings until the server is
restarted," for example.

"Restart" does not appear in the Microsoft Manual of
Style, and the Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary refers
the reader from "restart" to "reboot", which it defines as
"To restart a computer by reloading the operating system."

Have any of you wrestled with the word before? Is it
acceptable to add "stop" to the meaning of this word?
What style/usage guidelines did you establish?

Thanks for your input,

Rowena

Rowena Hart Technical Writer

Xcert International Inc.
1001-701 West Georgia Street Phone: 1 (604) 640-6210
Vancouver, BC, Canada V7Y 1C6 Fax: 1 (604) 640-6220
Web: http://www.xcert.com E-mail: rhart -at- xcert -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=