Re: Tech writing data storage pet peeve

Subject: Re: Tech writing data storage pet peeve
From: "Comeau, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Comeau -at- MOH -dot- GOV -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:39:39 -0500

Sarah Stegall gave several good reasons why NOT to use the server, and one
that I need to clarify - just for me...

She mentioned that she has no control over who sees the docs, or accesses
the docs when they're on the server. She also says she doesn't want everyone
and their dog to see the files before it's time...

I would like to know what kind of software you're using, Sarah, and I can
probably tell you exactly how to "protect" it from peering eyes. You don't
necessarily HAVE to work on it on the server (I know the speed problem -
believe me) , you can use the server as your backup.

I understand the resistance to have everyone looking at an unfinished
document, and I can see why a slow server would keep you from working ON the
server all day, but some of you seem to be adamant about not using the
server asa resource to keep your work safe. Why is that?

Lisa Comeau
Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=