Re: Styles for User Guides

Subject: Re: Styles for User Guides
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 21:52:36 -0700

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:

> What does the client own? Do they own the template they asked you to create
> for them and they had you copy the "Microsoft look" ? At the end of the
> project, does the client own the template? I say yes.

And I say that, unless they specifically had you tailor a template uniquely for
them, such that they had a copy-protectable look and feel, they don't own the
template. They own the content.

Many of us start with templates that come with the word processing package of
choice. If one were to apply your logic, then you'd give every client who uses
one of the standard Microsoft or Framemaker templates an opportunity to
copyright what Microsoft and Framemaker already own. And that doesn't make
sense.

I suspect what we're dealing with here is something for the copyright attorneys
to get exercised about. <shrug> I'll go with the case law.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=