MA, no job experience issue

Subject: MA, no job experience issue
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rstevens -at- HUBDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 08:47:51 -0400

If I may be so bold as to speak, I think this may be a function of how
most Tech Writing masters programs work. Generalizing from my own
experience at Northeastern, many of the participants have been out of
school for some years and are looking to change career tracks; I don't
know if that holds true everywhere, of course.

These people already have full-time jobs, which may or may not touch on
technical writing in some way; they can't go out and do an internship
for little or no money for a few months just to get a bit of experience.
And they can't go out and get a *real* job in the field until they have
that degree that says they have some idea what they're talking about.

I think if you're in a program that emphasizes practical job skills
(which the NU one does fairly well), and you've got a decent level of
motivation, you'll find yourself prepared to hit the ground running in
the working world. Which is all school is good for, really....

I've got two quarters to go. <g>

Rebecca Stevenson "Real artists ship."
Technical Writer -- Steve Jobs
Hub Data, Inc.