Templates and plagiarism

Subject: Templates and plagiarism
From: Betsy Devine <bdevine -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:40:16 EDT

You probably all know the FrameMaker templates at <<www.adobe.com>>,
created by David Valiulis and Gregory Wasson. My very favorite example
there is the gorgeous table format for writing procedures that's in
Tempac1, BkStyle4.

I never have written a manual that could use these exact templates. For
one thing, Valiulis and Wasson confine themselves to about three fonts,
none of them my favorites. But I've used _their_ ideas and cleverness
to solve _my_ problems again and again. And I certainly start from the
most likely template I find each time that I build a new template of my
own. But I'd rather consider this homage than plagiarism.

I do agree that selling somebody else's template is wrong, even with
many cosmetic changes.

Betsy Devine Wilczek
bdevine -at- hotmail -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=