Re: FWD: Contracting Experiences

Subject: Re: FWD: Contracting Experiences
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:59:02 -0500

> I am interested in finding out about anyone's contracting
> experiences--good, bad, pitfalls to watch for, etc.

The one thing I learned in my brief contracting experience is Trust No
One. Before you start a project, make sure you have a written agreement
explaining exactly what you'll be doing and how much you'll be paid. I
know many of you are saying "well, DUH!!" right now, but when I was a
naive new grad looking for experience, and the job that was supposed to
be editing turned into a complete rewrite and reformat with a vague
promise of "more money," it didn't occur to me that I should get it in
writing, and you can guess how that story ended. It's so easy for a
project to snowball, and after a few rounds of "oh, would you mind doing
this too," you suddenly realize you're doing twice the work and not
getting paid for it. Learn how to say "I'd be happy to add that to our
contract; it will cost $X."

Good luck
Tracy
who probably just confirmed a few suspicions regarding her mental
capabilities
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=